McKinney Center recognizes volunteers | Sunday Stories
The McKinney Center last month hosted a Volunteer Appreciation Ice Cream Social Event to recognize and honor those who give back to the center. More than 70 volunteers worked more than 4,000 hours in 2020 and 2021.
Volunteer hours come from a variety of activities, including StoryTown tasks such as collecting stories, attending the radio show, and helping with fundraisers. Other jobs for McKinney Center volunteers include cooking or donating food for events, distributing posters and catalogs, organizing outreach activities, and hosting work.
The volunteers were treated to ice cream and a wide variety of toppings.
Skye McFarland, Community Programs Specialist at the McKinney Center, greeted guests and presented awards to specific volunteers.
This year’s awards included:
• Paul and Venessa Braxton, Sweet Treat Sweeties
• Ann Florence, ceramic patron of the year
• Zel Hester, recording queen (three consecutive years)
• Susu Floyd, pastry princess
• Foye Webb, master motorist
• Phyllis Fabozzi, endures the most dramas (three consecutive years)
• Gregg Huddlestone, Additional Mile Award
• Heidi Ehle and Michelle Treece, exceptional volunteers
• Nancy Kavanaugh, Greatest Prize of All Time (GOAT).